Kale is the New Spinach
If you’re looking for a super food that has some great health benefits, then kale is definitely right for you. I’m a spinach girl myself, but have been trying to branch out a bit and explore the wonderful world of kale. Here’s why you should too:
1. Antioxidant power. Kale is a rich source of antioxidants, containing high amounts of vitamin C and A, and even the more powerful antioxidants like carotenoids and flavonoids. Antioxidants help prevent free radical damage that is associated with many diseases today such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
2. Lowers Cholesterol. Kale is very high in fiber, especially when it’s steamed. And, it works with the bile acids in the liver to lower cholesterol levels.
3. Detoxification. Research has shown that the isothiocyanates (ITC) found in kale can help with remove harmful toxins from the body.
4. Anti-Inflammatory. Labeled as “strongly anti-inflammatory” by Nutrition Data kale is high in omega 3 fatty acids which are known to decrease inflammation.
5. Good for your Diet. A cup of kale has only 34 calories and zero grams of fat, making it a super diet food. Plus, a cup also contains 2 grams of protein and 1 gram of dietary fiber.
So add some kale to your life and enjoy the health benefits that come with it! Also, click here for some vegan kale recipes worth checking out.